SEMANTiCS – the emergence of a European Marketplace for the Semantic Web
SEMANTiCS conference celebrated its 10th anniversary this September in Leipzig. And this year’s venue has been capable of opening a new age for the Semantic Web in Europe – a marketplace for the next generation of semantic technologies was born.
As Phil Archer stated in his key note, the Semantic Web is now mature, and academia and industry can be proud of the achievements so far. And exactly that fact gave the thread for the conference: Real world use cases demonstrated by industry representatives, new and already running applied projects presented by the leading consortia in the field and a vivid academia showing the next ideas and developments in the field. So this years SEMANTiCS conference brought together the European Community in Semantic Web Technology – both from academia and industry.
- Papers and Presentations: 45 (50% of them industry talks)
- Posters: 10 (out of 22)
- A marketplace with 11 permanent booths
- Presented Vocabularies at the 1st Vocabulary Carnival: 24
- Attendance: 225
- Geographic Coverage: 21 countries
This year’s SEMANTiCS was co-located and connected with a couple of other related events, like the German ISKO, the Multilingual Linked Open Data for Enterprises (MLODE 2014) and the 2nd DBpedia Community Meeting 2014. This wisely connected gatherings brought people together and allowed transdisciplinary exchange.
Recapitulatory speaking: This SEMANTiCS has opened up new sights on Semantic Technologies, when it comes to
- industry use
- problem solving capacity
- next generation development
- knowledge about top companies, institutes and people in the sector
- Save the date for SEMANTiCS 2015: 15th – 17th of September 2015, Vienna
- SEMANTiCS 2014 – picture gallery: Flickr