- Oct 20, 2008
What’s hot in the Semantic Wiki Community?
This morning I received an invite from Christoph Lange, Jacobs University Bremen, to attend a Birds-of-a-Feather meeting as an informal side-event/after hour to ISWC (this event label was unknown to me, but “Birds of a feather/ flock together”, so I assume that this must be a meeting of people who share the same interests). There’ll be lightning talks, open discussions and of course plenty of opportunity to network. Here’s a link to a wiki page for the meeting – please put your name on the appropriate list if you’d like to attend or give a lightning talk. The event is scheduled for Sunday October 26th, after the ISWC program.
People unable to attend physically, Christoph wrote, might consider participating in the Semantic Wiki Mini-Series Launch Event via ONTOLOG (= Open, International, Virtual Community of Practice on Ontology, Ontological Engineering and Semantic Technology), to take place online on Thursday, October 23, 2008, 10:30 AM PDT / 1:30 PM EDT / 7:30pm CEST / 17:30 UTC (click here for more details, time zones, registration procedures for first-time participants).
Here are some of the topics that have already been put on the wish-list for the Semantic Wiki Mini-Series (source):
- usability vs expressivity
- community building
- uncovering more implementations
- HCI: navigation of large, high-dimensional knowledge spaces
- e-science (especially pharma research & biomedicine)
- semantic wikis and mashups
- recommendation and personalization in semantic wikis,
- knowledge representation (expresivity vs. simplicity)
- how to make business subject matter experts able to enter, review and validate
meaningful information without them having to learn new words
- what dialect of OWL supported
- integration of semantic resources (Protege / OOR / MW / …)
- content quality
- integration of external data
- a semantic wiki & OOR session
- experiences with distributed collaboration
- server-side infrastructure to support semantic wikis
- survey of semantic wikis for vertical domains (e.g. HCLS)
- integration with other tools / linking wiki content to other apps
If you ask me, there are more than enough topics not for a mini, but for a grand series of conferences on Semantic Wikis:) For updates, bookmark the homepage of the series.